Related Sanskrit Words:
Derived Words in Other Languages:
- 1 भू bhū [ bhU ]
- 2 bhū' [ bhU ]
- 2.1 bhū'-kadamba [ bhUkadamba ]
- 2.2 bhū'-kadambaka [ bhUkadambaka ]
- 2.3 bhū'-kanda [ bhUkanda ]
- 2.4 bhū'-kapittha [ bhUkapittha ]
- 2.5 bhū'-kampa [ bhUkampa ]
- 2.6 bhū'-karṇa [ bhUkarNa ]
- 2.7 bhū'-karṇi [ bhUkarNi ]
- 2.8 bhū'-karbudāraka [ bhUkarbudAraka ]
- 2.9 bhū'-kaśyapa [ bhUkazyapa ]
- 2.10 bhū'-kāka [ bhUkAka ]
- 2.11 bhū'-kāṇḍa [ bhUkANDa ]
- 2.12 bhū'-kāśyapa [ bhUkAzyapa ]
- 2.13 bhū'-kumbhī [ bhUkumbhI ]
- 2.14 bhū'-kuṣmāṇḍī [ bhUkuSmANDI ]
- 2.15 bhū'-keśa [ bhUkeza ]
- 2.16 bhū'-kṣit [ bhUkSit ]
- 2.17 bhū'-kṣīra-vāṭikā [ bhUkSIravATikA ]
- 2.18 bhū'-khaṇḍa [ bhUkhaNDa ]
- 2.19 bhū'-kharjūrī [ bhUkharjUrI ]
- 2.20 bhū'-gata [ bhUgata ]
- 2.21 bhū'-gandha-pati [ bhUgandhapati ]
- 2.22 bhū'-gara [ bhUgara ]
- 2.23 bhū'-garbha [ bhUgarbha ]
- 2.24 bhū'-gṛha [ bhUgRha ]
- 2.25 bhū'-geha [ bhUgeha ]
- 2.26 bhū'-gola [ bhUgola ]
- 2.27 bhū'-golaka [ bhUgolaka ]
- 2.28 bhū'-ghana [ bhUghana ]
- 2.29 bhū'-ghnī [ bhUghnI ]
- 2.30 bhū'-cakra [ bhUcakra ]
- 2.31 bhū'-cara [ bhUcara ]
- 2.32 bhū'-caryā [ bhUcaryA ]
- 2.33 bhū'-chāya [ bhUchAya ]
- 2.34 bhū'-chāyā [ bhUchAyA ]
- 2.35 bhū'-jantu [ bhUjantu ]
- 2.36 bhū'-jambu [ bhUjambu ]
- 2.37 bhū'-jambū [ bhUjambU ]
- 2.38 bhū'-tala [ bhUtala ]
- 2.39 bhū'-talikā [ bhUtalikA ]
- 2.40 bhū'-tumbī [ bhUtumbI ]
- 2.41 bhū'-tṛṇa [ bhUtRNa ]
- 2.42 bhū'-ttama [ bhUttama ]
- 2.43 bhū'-darī-bhavā [ bhUdarIbhavA ]
- 2.44 bhū'-dāra [ bhUdAra ]
- 2.45 bhū'-dina [ bhUdina ]
- 2.46 bhū'-divasa [ bhUdivasa ]
- 2.47 bhū'-deva [ bhUdeva ]
- 2.48 bhū'-dhana [ bhUdhana ]
- 2.49 bhū'-dhara [ bhUdhara ]
- 2.50 bhū'-dhātirī [ bhUdhAtirI ]
- 2.51 bhū'-dhra [ bhUdhra ]
- 2.52 bhū'-nandana [ bhUnandana ]
- 2.53 bhū'-nāga [ bhUnAga ]
- 2.54 bhū'-nāman [ bhUnAman ]
- 2.55 bhū'-nāyaka [ bhUnAyaka ]
- 2.56 bhū'-nimba [ bhUnimba ]
- 2.57 bhū'-nīpa [ bhUnIpa ]
- 2.58 bhū'-nīlā-pañca-sûkta [ bhUnIlApaJcasUkta ]
- 2.59 bhū'-netṛ [ bhUnetR ]
- 2.60 bhū'-pa [ bhUpa ]
- 2.61 bhū'-pati [ bhUpati ]
- 2.62 bhū'-patita [ bhUpatita ]
- 2.63 bhū'-pada [ bhUpada ]
- 2.64 bhū'-paridhi [ bhUparidhi ]
- 2.65 bhū'-pala [ bhUpala ]
- 2.66 bhū'-palāśa [ bhUpalAza ]
- 2.67 bhū'-pavitra [ bhUpavitra ]
- 2.68 bhū'-pāṭalī [ bhUpATalI ]
- 2.69 bhū'-pāta [ bhUpAta ]
- 2.70 bhū'-pāla [ bhUpAla ]
- 2.71 bhū'-pālana [ bhUpAlana ]
- 2.72 bhū'-piṭharī [ bhUpiTharI ]
- 2.73 bhū'-putra [ bhUputra ]
- 2.74 bhū'-pura [ bhUpura ]
- 2.75 bhū'-pūga [ bhUpUga ]
- 2.76 bhū'-prakampa [ bhUprakampa ]
- 2.77 bhū'-pratimā-dāna [ bhUpratimAdAna ]
- 2.78 bhū'-pradāna [ bhUpradAna ]
- 2.79 bhū'-phala [ bhUphala ]
- 2.80 bhū'-badarī [ bhUbadarI ]
- 2.81 bhū'-bala [ bhUbala ]
- 2.82 bhū'-bimba [ bhUbimba ]
- 2.83 bhū'-bhaṭa [ bhUbhaTa ]
- 2.84 bhū'-bhaṭṭa [ bhUbhaTTa ]
- 2.85 bhū'-bhartṛ [ bhUbhartR ]
- 2.86 bhū'-bhāga [ bhUbhAga ]
- 2.87 bhū'-bhuj [ bhUbhuj ]
- 2.88 bhū'-bhū [ bhUbhU ]
- 2.89 bhū'-bhṛt [ bhUbhRt ]
- 2.90 bhū'-bhramaṇa-vicāra [ bhUbhramaNavicAra ]
- 2.91 bhū'-bhrama-vāda-khaṇḍana-nirāsa [ bhUbhramavAdakhaNDananirAsa ]
- 2.92 bhū'-maṇḍala [ bhUmaNDala ]
- 2.93 bhū'-mat [ bhUmat ]
- 2.94 bhū'-maya [ bhUmaya ]
- 2.95 bhū'-mahêndra [ bhUmahendra ]
- 2.96 bhū'-mitra [ bhUmitra ]
- 2.97 bhū'-yuktā [ bhUyuktA ]
- 2.98 bhū'-rati [ bhUrati ]
- 2.99 bhū'-ratna [ bhUratna ]
- 2.100 bhū'-ramaṇa [ bhUramaNa ]
- 2.101 bhū'-ruṇḍī [ bhUruNDI ]
- 2.102 bhū'-ruh [ bhUruh ]
- 2.103 bhū'-ruha [ bhUruha ]
- 2.104 bhū'-ruha [ bhUruha ]
- 2.105 bhū'-lakṣaṇa-paṭala [ bhUlakSaNapaTala ]
- 2.106 bhū'-lagnā [ bhUlagnA ]
- 2.107 bhū'-latā [ bhUlatA ]
- 2.108 bhū'-lavaṇa [ bhUlavaNa ]
- 2.109 bhū'-liṅga [ bhUliGga ]
- 2.110 bhū'-loka [ bhUloka ]
- 2.111 bhū'-valaya [ bhUvalaya ]
- 2.112 bhū'-vallabha [ bhUvallabha ]
- 2.113 bhū'-vallūra [ bhUvallUra ]
- 2.114 bhū'-vah [ bhUvah ]
- 2.115 bhū'-vāka [ bhUvAka ]
- 2.116 bhū'-vārāha-prayoga-vidhi [ bhUvArAhaprayogavidhi ]
- 2.117 bhū'-vārāha-vṛtta [ bhUvArAhavRtta ]
- 2.118 bhū'-śakra [ bhUzakra ]
- 2.119 bhū'-śamī [ bhUzamI ]
- 2.120 bhū'-śaya [ bhUzaya ]
- 2.121 bhū'-śayyā [ bhUzayyA ]
- 2.122 bhū'-śarkarā [ bhUzarkarA ]
- 2.123 bhū'-śuddhi [ bhUzuddhi ]
- 2.124 bhū'-lakṣaṇa [ bhUlakSaNa ]
- 2.125 bhū'-śelu [ bhUzelu ]
- 2.126 bhū'-śravas [ bhUzravas ]
- 2.127 bhū'-śvabhra [ bhUzvabhra ]
- 2.128 bhū'-saṃskāra [ bhUsaMskAra ]
- 2.129 bhū'-suta [ bhUsuta ]
- 2.130 bhū'-sura [ bhUsura ]
- 2.131 bhū'-sûkta [ bhUsUkta ]
- 2.132 bhū'-sûktabhāṣya [ bhUsUktabhASya ]
- 2.133 bhū'-stuti [ bhUstuti ]
- 2.134 bhū'-s-tṛṇa [ bhUstRNa ]
- 2.135 bhū'-stha [ bhUstha ]
- 2.136 bhū'-spṛś [ bhUspRz ]
- 2.137 bhū'-sphoṭa [ bhUsphoTa ]
- 2.138 bhū'-svarga [ bhUsvarga ]
- 2.139 bhū'-svargāya [ bhUsvargAya ]
- 2.140 bhū'-svāmin [ bhUsvAmin ]
भू bhū [ bhU ]
1. cl. 1. P. ( cf. Dhātup. i, 1 ) bhávati ( rarely Ā. °te; pf. babhū'va, 2. pers. °ū'tha or °ūvitha, cf. Pāṇ. vii, 2, 64; babhūyās, °yā'r, babhūtu cf. RV.; Ā. babhūve or bubhūve, Vop; cf. below; aor. ábhūt, °ūvan; Impv. bodhí [ cf. √ budh ], bhūtu cf. RV.; aor. or impf. ábhuvat, bhúvat, bhuvāni cf. ib.; Prec. bhūyāsam, 2. 3. sg. °yās cf. ib.; bhūyāt cf. AV.; bhūyiṣṭhās cf. BhP.; bhaviṣāt ? cf. AitBr.; abhaviṣta, bhaviṣīṣta. Gr.; fut. bhaviṣyáti, ep. also °te and 2. pl. °ṣyadhvam; bhavitā cf. Br. etc.; inf. bhuvé, -bhvé, bhūṣáṇi cf. RV.; bhavitum, °tos cf. Br.; ind. p. bhūtvā; bhūtvī cf. RV.; -bhū'ya cf. RV. etc.; -bhū'yam, -bhávam cf. Br. ), to become, be ( with nom., or adv. or indecl. words ending in ī or ū, cf. kṛṣṇī-√ bhū etc. ), arise, come into being, exist, be found, live, stay, abide, happen, occur, RV. etc. ( often used with participles and other verbal nouns to make periphrastical verbal forms; with a fut. p. = to be going or about to, e.g. anuvakṣyan bhavati, he is going to recite, ŚBr.; the fut. of √ bhū with a pf. p. = a fut. pf., e.g. kṛtavān bhaviṣyasi, you will have done, MBh.; the pf. P. babhūva after the syllable ām is put for the pf. of verbs of the 10. cl. etc. [ cf. √ 1. as and √ 1. kṛ ]; the Ā. appears in this meaning cf. Śiś. ix, 84, Kum. xiv. 46; observe also bhavati with a fut. tense, it is possible that , e.g. bhavati bhavān yājayiṣyati, it is possible that you will cause a sacrifice to be performed, Pāṇ. iii, 3, 146, Sch.; bhavet, may be, granted, admitted, Kāś. on P. iii, 2. 114; bhavatu id., well, good, enough of this, Kāv.; Hit.; iti ced bhavet, if this question should be asked, Mn. x, 66; kva tad bhavati, what is to become of this, it is quite useless, TBr.; with na = to cease to exist, perish, die, MBh.; Kāv. etc.; with iha na, not to be born on earth, MBh.; with śata-dhā, to fall into a hundred pieces, MBh.; with dūrataḥ, to keep aloof, ŚārṅgP.; with manasi or cetasi and gen., to occur to the mind of any one, Kād; id. with gen. alone, Lalit. )
to be on the side of, assist ( with gen. or -tas ), MBh. 1301 ( cf. Pāṇ. v, 4, 48 cf. Sch. )
to serve for, tend or conduce to ( with dat. of thing ), RV. etc. ( with phalāya, to bear fruit, Kām. )
to be occupied with or engaged in, devote one's self to ( with loc. ), MBh., Kāv.
to thrive or prosper in ( instr. ), turn out well, succeed, RV.; TS.; Br.
to be of consequence or useful, Mn. iii, 181
( also Ā., Dhātup. xxxiv, 37 ) to fall, or get into, attain to, obtain, Br., MBh.
( with idám ) to obtain it, i.e. be successful or fortunate, TS. : Pass. bhūyate ( or °ti, Up.; aor. abhāvi ) sometimes used impers., e.g. yair bhaviṣyate, by whom it will be existed, i.e. who will be, Rājat. : Caus. bhāvayati ( rarely °te; aor. abībhavat Gr.; inf. bhāvitum, R.; Pass. bhāvyate etc., MBh. ), to cause to be or become, call into existence or life, originate, produce, cause, create, Pur.; Sāh.
to cherish, foster, animate, enliven, refresh, encourage, promote, further, AitUp., MBh. etc.
to addict or devote one's self to, practise ( acc. ), MBh.; HYog.
to subdue, control, R.
( also Ā., Dhātup. xxxiv, 37 ) to obtain, Jaim., Sch.
to manifest, exhibit, show, betray, MBh.; Kām.; Daś
to purify, BhP.
to present to the mind, think about, consider, know, recognize as or take for ( two acc. ), MBh.; Kāv. etc.
to mingle, mix, saturate, soak, perfume, Kauś.; Suśr. ( cf. bhāvita, p. 755, col. 1) : Desid., of Caus. bibhāvayiṣati ( Pāṇ. vii, 4, 80, Sch. ), to wish to cause to be etc., Br. : Desid. búbhūṣati ( °te ), to wish or strive to become or be, RV. etc.
( with kṣipram ), to strive to be quickly possessed, MBh.
to want to get on, strive to prosper or succeed, TS.; Br.; MBh.
to want to have, care for, strive after, esteem, honour, MBh.; Hariv.
to want to take revenge, BhP. : Intens., bóbhavīti, bobhavati, bobhoti, bibhūyate, to be frequently, to be in the habit of, BhP.; Bhaṭṭ.
to be transformed into ( acc. ), RV.; AV.
( with tiraḥ ), to keep anything ( instr. ) secret, ŚBr. [ Cf. Zd. bū; Gk. ?, ? ; Lat. fuit, fuat etc. ; Slav. byti ; Lith. búti ; Germ. bim, bim ; Angl. Sax. beó ; Eng. be. ]
bhū' [ bhU ]
m. N. of Viṣṇu cf. MBh. xii, 1509 ( cf. Nīlak. )
of an Ek^aha cf. ŚrS.
f. the act of becoming or arising cf. Pāṇ. 1-4, 31
the place of being, space, world or universe ( also pl. ) cf. RV. cf. AV.
the earth ( as constituting one of the 3 worlds, and therefore a symbolical N. for the number ' one ' ) cf. Mn. cf. MBh. etc.
earth ( as a substance ), ground, soil, land, lauded property cf. ib.
floor, pavement cf. Megh
a place, spot, piece of ground cf. RV. etc.
the base of any geometrical figure cf. Āryabh
object, matter ( vivādasaṃvāda-bhū )
a term for the letter l cf. RāmatUp.
a sacrificial fire cf. L.
bhū'-kadamba [ bhUkadamba ]
m. ( and ā f. ) N. of plants cf. L.
bhū'-kadambaka [ bhUkadambaka ]
m. Ptychotis Ajowan cf. L.
( ikā ), f. a species of plant cf. L.
bhū'-kanda [ bhUkanda ]
m. a partic. medicinal plant cf. Vāgbh
bhū'-kapittha [ bhUkapittha ]
m. Feronia Elephantum
n. the fruit of it cf. L.
bhū'-kampa [ bhUkampa ]
m. an earthquake cf. AdbhBr. cf. Yājñ. cf. Var
N. of a man cf. Vās., Introd.
-akṣaṇa m. N. of the 33rd ch. of Bhaṭṭ^otpala's cf. Comm. on cf. VarBṛS.
-vicāra m. N. of wk.
bhū'-karṇa [ bhUkarNa ]
m. the diameter of the earth cf. Sūryas
bhū'-karṇi [ bhUkarNi ]
m. N. of a man cf. Cat.
bhū'-karbudāraka [ bhUkarbudAraka ]
m. Cordia Myxa cf. L.
bhū'-kaśyapa [ bhUkazyapa ]
m. N. of Vasu-deva ( the father of Kṛshṇa ) cf. L.
bhū'-kāka [ bhUkAka ]
m. ' earth-crow ', N. of sev. birds ( a species of heron
a species of pigeon ) cf. L.
bhū'-kāṇḍa [ bhUkANDa ]
m. ' earth-chapter ', N. of a ch. of the Bhūri-prayoga
bhū'-kāśyapa [ bhUkAzyapa ]
m. a king cf. Bālar
bhū'-kumbhī [ bhUkumbhI ]
f. N. of a plant cf. L.
bhū'-kuṣmāṇḍī [ bhUkuSmANDI ]
f. Batatas Paniculata cf. L.
bhū'-keśa [ bhUkeza ]
( only cf. L. ), m. ' earth-hair ', the Indian figtree
( ā ), f. a Rākshasi
( ī ), f. Vernonia Anthelminthica
bhū'-kṣit [ bhUkSit ]
m., earth-destroyer, a hog cf. L.
bhū'-kṣīra-vāṭikā [ bhUkSIravATikA ]
f. N. of a place cf. Rājat
bhū'-khaṇḍa [ bhUkhaNDa ]
m. n. ' earth-section ', N. of a section of the cf. SkandaP. and of the cf. PadmaP. ( = bhūmi-kh° )
bhū'-kharjūrī [ bhUkharjUrI ]
f. a species of date cf. L.
bhū'-gata [ bhUgata ]
mfn. being or existing on the earth cf. MārkP.
bhū'-gandha-pati [ bhUgandhapati ]
m. N. of Śiva cf. Hcat
bhū'-gara [ bhUgara ]
n. ' earth-poison ', mineral poison cf. L.
bhū'-garbha [ bhUgarbha ]
m. N. of the poet Bhava-bhūti cf. L.
bhū'-gṛha [ bhUgRha ]
n. an underground room or chamber cf. Car. cf. Kathās
a partic. part of a diagram cf. Pañcar. cf. RāmatUp.
bhū'-geha [ bhUgeha ]
n. an underground room cf. Kathās
bhū'-gola [ bhUgola ]
m. ' earth-ball ', the terrestrial globe, earth cf. Kāv. cf. Pañcar. cf. BhP.
N. of wk.
kha-gola-virodha-parihāra m. -varṇana n. N. of wks.
-vidyā f. knowledge of the terrestrial globe, geography cf. MW.
bhū'-golaka [ bhUgolaka ]
m. the terrestrial globe cf. BhP.
bhū'-ghana [ bhUghana ]
m. the body cf. L.
bhū'-ghnī [ bhUghnI ]
f. aluminous slate cf. L.
bhū'-cakra [ bhUcakra ]
n. ' earth-circle ', the equator or equinoctial line cf. W.
bhū'-cara [ bhUcara ]
mf ( ā ) n. going on the earth, inhabiting the earth ( also m. ) cf. MBh. cf. Hariv. cf. Pañcat. etc.
moving or living on land cf. MW.
bhū'-caryā [ bhUcaryA ]
f. = next cf. A.
bhū'-chāya [ bhUchAya ]
n. or ' earth-shadow ', darkness cf. L.
bhū'-chāyā [ bhUchAyA ]
f. ' earth-shadow ', darkness cf. L.
bhū'-jantu [ bhUjantu ]
m. ' earth-animal ', a kind of snail cf. L.
bhū'-jambu [ bhUjambu ]
or f. wheat cf. L.
bhū'-jambū [ bhUjambU ]
f. wheat cf. L.
Flacourtia Sapida or its fruit cf. L.
bhū'-tala [ bhUtala ]
n. the surface of the ground, the earth cf. MBh. cf. Pañcat. cf. Ragh. cf. Kathās
-stha mfn. standing or being on the face of the earth cf. MW.
-sthāna m. a man cf. Gal.
°lânmathana m. ' earth-shaker ', N. of a Dānava cf. Hariv.
bhū'-talikā [ bhUtalikA ]
f. Trigonella Corniculata cf. L.
bhū'-tumbī [ bhUtumbI ]
f. a kind of cucumber cf. L.
bhū'-tṛṇa [ bhUtRNa ]
m. ( cf. bhū-s-tṛṇa ) ' earth-grass ', Andropogon Schoenanthus cf. L.
a kind of fragrant grass cf. L.
bhū'-ttama [ bhUttama ]
( bhûtt° ), n. ' best of minerals ', gold cf. L.
bhū'-darī-bhavā [ bhUdarIbhavA ]
f. Salvinia Cucullata cf. L.
bhū'-dāra [ bhUdAra ]
m. ' rooting up the earth ' and ' a hog ' cf. KāśīKh.
bhū'-dina [ bhUdina ]
n. ( cf. Gaṇit. ) or ( cf. Āryabh. ) a civil day
bhū'-divasa [ bhUdivasa ]
m. ( cf. Āryabh. ) a civil day
bhū'-deva [ bhUdeva ]
m. a divinity upon earth, a Brāhman ( cf. - sura ) cf. Cat. cf. L.
N. of Śiva cf. Śivag
of various men cf. Cat.
-śukla m. N. of a poet. cf. Cat.
bhū'-dhana [ bhUdhana ]
m. ' whose property is the earth ', a king, prince cf. L.
bhū'-dhara [ bhUdhara ]
mfn. ' earth-bearing ', dwelling in the earth cf. R.
m. ' earth-supporting ', N. of Kṛshṇa cf. BhP.
of Baṭuka-bhairava cf. L.
a mountain ( ifc. f. ā ) cf. MBh. cf. Hariv. cf. Pur. etc.
' mountain ' and ' king ' cf. Harav
a term for the number seven cf. Sūryas
N. of Siva or of the serpent-demon Śesha cf. MBh.
a kind of chemical or medical apparatus cf. L.
N. of sev. men cf. Cat.
guhântara-tas ind. from within the caves of the mountains cf. MW.
-ja m. ' mountain-born ', a tree cf. MBh. ( cf. Nīlak. )
-tā f. the state or act of supporting the earth cf. Kum
-yantra n. a partic. apparatus for boiling cf. Bhpr.
-rāja m. = -dharêśvara cf. A.
-dharâtmaka or -dharâdhîśa m. N. of Baṭukabhairava cf. L.
-dharâraṇya n. a mountain-forest cf. Mālatīm
-dharêvara m. ' mountain-lord ', N. of Hima-vat cf. Kum
bhū'-dhātirī [ bhUdhAtirI ]
f. earth-mother ', N. of Baṭuka- bhairava cf. L.
Flacourtia Cataphracta cf. L.
bhū'-dhra [ bhUdhra ]
m. = -dhara, a mountain cf. Śatr.
bhū'-nandana [ bhUnandana ]
m. N. of a king cf. Kathās
bhū'-nāga [ bhUnAga ]
m. ' earth-snake ', a kind of snail or snail- shell cf. Rasêndrac
bhū'-nāman [ bhUnAman ]
f. a kind of fragrant earth cf. L.
bhū'-nāyaka [ bhUnAyaka ]
m. a prince or king cf. Daś
bhū'-nimba [ bhUnimba ]
m. Gentiana Chirata cf. Suśr. cf. ŚārṅgS.
bhū'-nīpa [ bhUnIpa ]
m. = -kadamba cf. L.
bhū'-nīlā-pañca-sûkta [ bhUnIlApaJcasUkta ]
( ? ), n. N. of wk.
bhū'-netṛ [ bhUnetR ]
m. ' earth-leader ', a king, prince cf. L.
bhū'-pa [ bhUpa ]
m. ' earth-protector ', a king, prince cf. Var. cf. Pañcat. cf. Kathās. etc.
a term for the number sixteen cf. Gaṇit
-tā f. sovereignty, kingship cf. Rājat
-putra m. a king's son, prince cf. MārkP.
-samuccaya-tantra n. N. of wk.
-siṃha m. N. of a man cf. Cat.
°pâdi-skandha-lakṣaṇa n. N. of wk.
°pâṣṭa m. liked by kings ', a kind of tree cf. L.
bhū'-pati [ bhUpati ]
( bhū'- ), m. ' lord of the earth ', N. of Rudra cf. TS. cf. TBr. cf. ĀśvŚr.
of Indra cf. ŚrS.
of Baṭuka-bhairava cf. L.
of one of the Viśve-Devā cf. MBh.
a king, monarch, prince cf. MBh. cf. R. cf. Ragh. etc.
a partic. bulbous plant existing on the Himavat cf. L.
a partic. Rāga cf. Saṃgīt
N. of a poet ( perhaps Bhoja ; bhū-pāla ). cf. Cat.
of an author cf. Cat.
of a priest of the gods cf. L.
pl. N. of a partic. class of gods under Manu Raivata cf. MārkP.
-veśman n. a king's palace cf. L.
-stuti f. N. of a hymn
bhū'-patita [ bhUpatita ]
mfn. fallen to the earth cf. VP.
bhū'-pada [ bhUpada ]
m. ' earth-fixed, earth-rooted ', a tree cf. L.
( ī ), f. Arabian jasmine Jasminum Zambac cf. L.
bhū'-paridhi [ bhUparidhi ]
m. the circumference of the earth cf. Sūryas
bhū'-pala [ bhUpala ]
m. a kind of rat cf. L. ( cf. -phala )
bhū'-palāśa [ bhUpalAza ]
m. a kind of plant cf. L.
bhū'-pavitra [ bhUpavitra ]
n. ' earth-purifying ', cow-dung cf. L.
bhū'-pāṭalī [ bhUpATalI ]
f. a kind of plant cf. L.
bhū'-pāta [ bhUpAta ]
m. falling on the ground, falling down cf. Sāh
bhū'-pāla [ bhUpAla ]
m. ' earth-guardian ', a king, prince cf. Kāv. cf. Hit. cf. Kathās. etc.
N. of Bhoja-rāja cf. Cat.
of a son of Soma-pāla cf. Rājat
of a country cf. Inscr.
( ī ), f. N. of a partic. scale in the Hindū musicalsystem cf. Col.
-bhūṣaṇa n. N. of wk.
-loka m. a multitude of princes cf. Hcar.
-vallabha m. a king's favourite ( said of horses ) cf. Kād
N. of an encyclopaedia ( of Dharma, Alaṃkāra, Jyotis etc. ) cf. Cat.
-śrī f. ' king's-fortune ', N. of a temple of Śiva cf. Cat.
-sāhi m. ( s° = ? ) N. of a king cf. Inscr.
-stotra n. N. of a hymn
bhū'-pālana [ bhUpAlana ]
n. ' earth-protection ', sovereignty, dominion cf. A.
bhū'-piṭharī [ bhUpiTharI ]
f. a partic. plant cf. Bhpr. ( v.l. bhūmivalli )
bhū'-putra [ bhUputra ]
m. ' son of the earth ', the planet Mars cf. Sūryas
( ī ), f. ' daughter of the earth ', N. of Sītā cf. R.
bhū'-pura [ bhUpura ]
n. a partic. part of a diagram cf. RāmatUp. ( cf. -gṛha )
bhū'-pūga [ bhUpUga ]
m. a kind of Areca plant growing on the ground cf. L.
bhū'-prakampa [ bhUprakampa ]
m. ( ifc. f. ā ) an earthquake cf. Var
bhū'-pratimā-dāna [ bhUpratimAdAna ]
n. N. of wk.
bhū'-pradāna [ bhUpradAna ]
n. a gift of land cf. MW.
bhū'-phala [ bhUphala ]
m. Phaseolus Mungo cf. L.
a kind of rat cf. L. ( cf. -pala )
bhū'-badarī [ bhUbadarI ]
f. a species of jujube cf. L.
bhū'-bala [ bhUbala ]
( prob. ) n. N. of wk.
bhū'-bimba [ bhUbimba ]
m. n. ' earth-ball ', the globe cf. Pañcar.
bhū'-bhaṭa [ bhUbhaTa ]
m. N. of a man cf. Rājat
bhū'-bhaṭṭa [ bhUbhaTTa ]
m. N. of an author cf. Cat.
bhū'-bhartṛ [ bhUbhartR ]
m. ' earth-supporter, earth-lord ', a king, prince cf. Rājat
bhū'-bhāga [ bhUbhAga ]
m. a portion of ground, a place, spot, station cf. Kām. cf. Kathās
( krośa-mātro-bh° ), a way of not more than a Krośa cf. Pañcat
bhū'-bhuj [ bhUbhuj ]
m. ' earth-possessor ', a king, prince cf. MBh. cf. Kām. cf. Kathās. etc.
bhū'-bhū [ bhUbhU ]
m. metron. of the planet Mars cf. Gaṇit
bhū'-bhṛt [ bhUbhRt ]
m. ' earth-supporter ', a mountain cf. MBh. cf. Var. cf. Kum. etc.
a term for the number ' seven ' cf. Gaṇit
N. of Viṣṇu cf. Cat.
a king, prince cf. Var. cf. Kathās. cf. MārkP. etc.
-sabha n. a king's palace or a meeting of kings cf. L.
bhū'-bhrama-vāda-khaṇḍana-nirāsa [ bhUbhramavAdakhaNDananirAsa ]
m. N. of wk.
bhū'-maṇḍala [ bhUmaNDala ]
n. ' earth-circle ', orbis terrarum, the terrestrial globe cf. Cāṇ. cf. Pur. cf. Kathās. etc.
the circumference or circuit of the earth cf. Sūryas
bhū'-mat [ bhUmat ]
m. ' possessing the earth ', a king, prince cf. L. 1
bhū'-maya [ bhUmaya ]
mf ( ī ) n. ( for 2. p. 763, col. s ) formed or produced from the earth
( ī ), f. N. of Chāya or Shadow ( personified as wife of the Sun ) cf. L.
bhū'-mahêndra [ bhUmahendra ]
m. a prince, king cf. L.
bhū'-mitra [ bhUmitra ]
m. ' earth-friend ', N. of a king cf. BhP.
bhū'-yuktā [ bhUyuktA ]
f. a kind of palm cf. L.
bhū'-rati [ bhUrati ]
m. ' earth-joy ', N. of a magical spell recited over weapons cf. R.
bhū'-ratna [ bhUratna ]
n. N. of wk.
bhū'-ramaṇa [ bhUramaNa ]
m. a prince, king cf. Daś
bhū'-ruṇḍī [ bhUruNDI ]
f. Heliotropium Indicum cf. L.
bhū'-ruh [ bhUruh ]
m. ' earth-grower ', a plant, tree cf. Prab. cf. Caṇḍ. etc.
bhū'-ruha [ bhUruha ]
m. ' earth-grower ', a plant, tree cf. Prab. cf. Caṇḍ. etc.
bhū'-ruha [ bhUruha ]
m. id. cf. Suśr. cf. BhP.
Terminalia Arjuna and Glabra cf. L.
n. a pearl cf. L.
bhū'-lakṣaṇa-paṭala [ bhUlakSaNapaTala ]
m. n. N. of a Mantra
bhū'-lagnā [ bhUlagnA ]
f. ' clinging to the ground ', Andropogon Aciculatus cf. L.
bhū'-latā [ bhUlatA ]
f. an earth-worm cf. L.
bhū'-lavaṇa [ bhUlavaNa ]
n. factitious salt cf. L.
bhū'-liṅga [ bhUliGga ]
n. N. of a district of Śālva ( cf. bhauliṅgī )
( ā ), f. N. of a town cf. R.
-śakuna or °ni m. a species of bird ( said to make a sound like mā sāhasam, ' no rashness ! ' ) cf. MBh.
bhū'-loka [ bhUloka ]
m. ( ifc. f. ā ) the terrestrial world, earth cf. Kathās. cf. MārkP. ( cf. bhūr-l° )
-kailāsa-māhātmya n. N. of a ch. of the cf. BrahmôttKh.
-sura-nāyaka m. an Indra of the earth cf. Rājat
bhū'-valaya [ bhUvalaya ]
m. n. the circumference of the earth cf. BhP.
the terrestrial globe cf. MW.
bhū'-vallabha [ bhUvallabha ]
m. ' earth's favourite ', a king, prince cf. Inscr.
bhū'-vallūra [ bhUvallUra ]
n. ' earth's flesh ', a mushroom cf. L.
bhū'-vah [ bhUvah ]
( strong form -vāh, weak bhúh ), mfn. cf. Vop
bhū'-vāka [ bhUvAka ]
m. N. of an author cf. Cat.
bhū'-vārāha-prayoga-vidhi [ bhUvArAhaprayogavidhi ]
m. N. of wk.
bhū'-vārāha-vṛtta [ bhUvArAhavRtta ]
n. ' earth-circle ', the equator cf. MW.
bhū'-śakra [ bhUzakra ]
m. ' earth-Indra ', a king, prince cf. L.
bhū'-śamī [ bhUzamI ]
f. a kind of Acacia cf. L.
bhū'-śaya [ bhUzaya ]
m. ' lying or dwelling on the earth ', N. of Viṣṇu cf. MBh.
any animal living in the earth cf. Car.
bhū'-śayyā [ bhUzayyA ]
f. a couch on the bare ground cf. Kām. cf. Pañcat
bhū'-śarkarā [ bhUzarkarA ]
f. a species of bulbous plant cf. L.
bhū'-śuddhi [ bhUzuddhi ]
f. purification of the ground cf. MW.
bhū'-lakṣaṇa [ bhUlakSaNa ]
n. N. of wk.
bhū'-śelu [ bhUzelu ]
m. the plant Cordia Myxa cf. L.
bhū'-śravas [ bhUzravas ]
m. an ant or mole hill cf. W.
bhū'-śvabhra [ bhUzvabhra ]
n. a hole in the ground, hollow cf. L.
bhū'-saṃskāra [ bhUsaMskAra ]
some enumerate seven ) cf. KātyŚr. cf. Sch.
bhū'-suta [ bhUsuta ]
m. ' earth son ', the planet Mars cf. Sūryas. cf. Var
( ā ), f. ' daughter of the earth ', N. of Sitā cf. L.
bhū'-sura [ bhUsura ]
m. ' earth-god ', a Brāhman cf. BhP. cf. Daś. ( cf. -deva )
bhū'-sûkta [ bhUsUkta ]
bhū'-sûktabhāṣya [ bhUsUktabhASya ]
bhū'-stuti [ bhUstuti ]
f. N. of hymns
bhū'-s-tṛṇa [ bhUstRNa ]
m. Audropogon Schoenanthus cf. Mn. cf. Hariv. cf. Suśr. cf. Vāgbh. ( cf. bhū-tṛṇa )
bhū'-stha [ bhUstha ]
mfn. living on the earth cf. MBh.
m. a man cf. L.
bhū'-spṛś [ bhUspRz ]
m. ' touching the ground ', a man cf. L.
a Vaiśya cf. L.
bhū'-sphoṭa [ bhUsphoTa ]
m. ' earth-blister ', a mushroom cf. L.
bhū'-svarga [ bhUsvarga ]
m. ' heaven on earth ', N. of the mountain Sumeru cf. L.
bhū'-svargāya [ bhUsvargAya ]
Nom. Ā. °yate, to become a heaven on earth cf. Daś
bhū'-svāmin [ bhUsvAmin ]
m. a landlord, landholder cf. MW.