Related Sanskrit Words:
Derived Words in Other Languages:
- 1 एवम् evám [ evam ]
- 1.1 eváṃ-yuktam [ evaMyuktam ]
- 1.2 eváṃ-rūpa [ evaMrUpa ]
- 1.3 eváṃ-víd [ evaMvid ]
- 1.4 eváṃ-vidvas [ evaMvidvas ]
- 1.5 eváṃ-vidha [ evaMvidha ]
- 1.6 eváṃ-viśeṣaṇa [ evaMvizeSaNa ]
- 1.7 eváṃ-viṣaya [ evaMviSaya ]
- 1.8 eváṃ-vīrya [ evaMvIrya ]
- 1.9 eváṃ-vṛtta [ evaMvRtta ]
- 1.10 eváṃ-vṛtti [ evaMvRtti ]
- 1.11 eváṃ-vrata [ evaMvrata ]
- 1.12 eváṃ-saṃsthitika [ evaMsaMsthitika ]
- 1.13 eváṃ-saṃjñaka [ evaMsaMjJaka ]
- 1.14 eváṃ-samṛddha [ evaMsamRddha ]
- 1.15 eváṃ-kāram [ evaMkAram ]
- 1.16 eváṃ-kārya [ evaMkArya ]
- 1.17 eváṃ-kāla [ evaMkAla ]
- 1.18 eváṃ-kratú [ evaMkratu ]
- 1.19 eváṃ-gata [ evaMgata ]
- 1.20 eváṃ-guṇa [ evaMguNa ]
- 1.21 eváṃ-jātīya [ evaMjAtIya ]
- 1.22 eváṃ-tarkin [ evaMtarkin ]
- 1.23 eváṃ-dravya [ evaMdravya ]
- 1.24 eváṃ-nāman [ evaMnAman ]
- 1.25 eváṃ-nyaṅga [ evaMnyaGga ]
- 1.26 eváṃ-nyāya [ evaMnyAya ]
- 1.27 evám-abhyanûkta [ evamabhyanUkta ]
- 1.28 evám-arthīya [ evamarthIya ]
- 1.29 evám-avastha [ evamavastha ]
- 1.30 evám-ākṛti [ evamAkRti ]
- 1.31 evám-ācāra [ evamAcAra ]
- 1.32 evám-ātmaka [ evamAtmaka ]
- 1.33 evám-ādi [ evamAdi ]
- 1.34 evám-ādya [ evamAdya ]
- 1.35 evám-pūrva [ evampUrva ]
- 1.36 evám-prakāra [ evamprakAra ]
- 1.37 evám-prāya [ evamprAya ]
- 1.38 evám-prabhāva [ evamprabhAva ]
- 1.39 evám-bhūta [ evambhUta ]
एवम् evám [ evam ]
ind. ( fr. pronom. base e cf. BRD.
probably connected with 1. evá ), thus, in this way, in such a manner, such, ( it is not found in the oldest hymns of the Veda, where its place is taken by 1. evá, but occurs in later hymns ind. in the Brāhmaṇas, especially in connection with √ vid , ' to know ', and its derivatives [ e.g. ya evaṃ veda, he who knows so ; cf. evaṃ-víd, col. 3 ]
in classical Sanskṛt evam occurs very frequently, especially in connection with the roots vac, ' to speak ', and śru, ' to hear ', and refers to what precedes as well as to what follows [ e.g. evam uktvā, having so said
evam evaitat, this is so
evam astu, or evam bhavatu, be it so, I assent
asty evam, it is so
yady evam, if this be so
( it is also often used like an adjective [ e.g. evaṃ te vacane rataḥ, rejoicing in such words of thine ; where evam = evaṃ-vidhe ] ) cf. MBh. cf. Śak. etc.
sometimes evam is merely an expletive
according to lexicographers evam may imply likeness ( so )
sameness of manner ( thus )
assent ( yes, verily )
affirmation ( certainly, indeed, assuredly )
command ( thus, etc. )
and be used as an expletive
eváṃ-yuktam [ evaMyuktam ]
( °ṃ-yuktam ), ind. in such a manner cf. Pat.
eváṃ-rūpa [ evaMrUpa ]
mf ( ā ) n. of such a form or kind cf. ŚBr. cf. MBh. etc.
eváṃ-víd [ evaMvid ]
mfn. knowing so or thus, well instructed, familiar with what is right cf. ŚBr. cf. AitBr. cf. TUp.
eváṃ-vidvas [ evaMvidvas ]
( once -vidvás cf. ŚBr. xiv, 8, 6, 2 ), id.
eváṃ-vidha [ evaMvidha ]
mfn. of such a kind, in such a form or manner, such cf. MBh. cf. R. cf. Suśr. etc.
eváṃ-viśeṣaṇa [ evaMvizeSaNa ]
mfn. having such an attribute, thus defined cf. Comm. on cf. Nyāyam
eváṃ-viṣaya [ evaMviSaya ]
mfn. having such an object, referring to that cf. Comm. on cf. Mn.
eváṃ-vīrya [ evaMvIrya ]
mfn. strong in that respect cf. ŚBr. xiii
possessed of such a power cf. BhP.
eváṃ-vṛtta [ evaMvRtta ]
and mfn. acting or behaving in such a manner, of such a kind cf. Mn. cf. BhP. etc.
eváṃ-vṛtti [ evaMvRtti ]
mfn. acting or behaving in such a manner, of such a kind cf. Mn. cf. BhP. etc.
eváṃ-vrata [ evaMvrata ]
mfn. fulfilling such duties cf. SāmavBr.
of such a behaviour, acting thus cf. BhP. xi, 2, 40
eváṃ-saṃsthitika [ evaMsaMsthitika ]
mfn. of such a nature or kind cf. MBh. iii
eváṃ-saṃjñaka [ evaMsaMjJaka ]
mfn. having such a name or term, named thus cf. Pat.
eváṃ-samṛddha [ evaMsamRddha ]
mfn. so complete cf. ŚBr. v
eváṃ-kāram [ evaMkAram ]
ind. in this manner cf. Pāṇ. 3-4, 27
eváṃ-kārya [ evaMkArya ]
mfn. having such an aim, aiming at that cf. Car.
eváṃ-kāla [ evaMkAla ]
mfn. containing so many syllabic instants cf. Kāś. on cf. Pāṇ. 1-2, 27
eváṃ-kratú [ evaMkratu ]
mfn. thus minded cf. ŚBr. x
eváṃ-gata [ evaMgata ]
mfn. being in such a condition or state, so circumstanced, of such kind cf. MBh. cf. R.
( e ), ind. under such circumstances cf. MBh. iii, 15109 cf. Daś
eváṃ-guṇa [ evaMguNa ]
mfn. possessing such qualities or good qualities cf. MBh. cf. BhP. etc.
-jātīya, -saṃpanna, °nôpêta mfn. id. cf. MBh. cf. Śak. etc.
eváṃ-jātīya [ evaMjAtIya ]
mfn. of such a kind or nature, such cf. Lāṭy. cf. Gobh
eváṃ-tarkin [ evaMtarkin ]
mfn. concluding, reasoning thus cf. Śak
eváṃ-dravya [ evaMdravya ]
mfn. consisting of such substances cf. Car.
eváṃ-nāman [ evaMnAman ]
mfn. so called cf. ŚBr. v
eváṃ-nyaṅga [ evaMnyaGga ]
mfn. having such a characteristic, of such a kind cf. AitBr. vi, 14, 2
eváṃ-nyāya [ evaMnyAya ]
mfn. following this manner or rule of performance cf. ĀśvŚr. ii, 5, 1, 13
evám-abhyanûkta [ evamabhyanUkta ]
mfn. so stated or spoken about cf. ŚBr. viii
evám-arthīya [ evamarthIya ]
mfn. relating to that cf. Nir
evám-avastha [ evamavastha ]
mfn. so situated cf. Prab
evám-ākṛti [ evamAkRti ]
mfn. so shaped cf. Daś
evám-ācāra [ evamAcAra ]
mfn. behaving or acting in such a manner cf. Gaut
evám-ātmaka [ evamAtmaka ]
mf ( ikā ) n. of such a nature, so conditioned cf. Pat.
evám-ādi [ evamAdi ]
and mfn. beginning with such a one, of such qualities or kind, such cf. Mn. cf. Śak. etc.
evám-ādya [ evamAdya ]
mfn. beginning with such a one, of such qualities or kind, such cf. Mn. cf. Śak. etc.
evám-pūrva [ evampUrva ]
mfn. preceded by this cf. Kāś
evám-prakāra [ evamprakAra ]
and mfn. of such a kind, such cf. ĀśvŚr. cf. MBh. cf. Mn. etc.
evám-prāya [ evamprAya ]
mfn. of such a kind, such cf. ĀśvŚr. cf. MBh. cf. Mn. etc.
evám-prabhāva [ evamprabhAva ]
mfn. possessed of such power cf. R.
evám-bhūta [ evambhUta ]
mfn. of such a quality or nature, such cf. MBh.
-vat mfn. furnished with anything of this kind