Related Sanskrit Words:
Derived Words in Other Languages:
- 1 pradhāna [ pradhAna ]
- 1.1 pradhāna-karman [ pradhAnakarman ]
- 1.2 pradhāna-kārya [ pradhAnakArya ]
- 1.3 pradhāna-kāraṇa-vāda [ pradhAnakAraNavAda ]
- 1.4 pradhāna-tama [ pradhAnatama ]
- 1.5 pradhāna-tara [ pradhAnatara ]
- 1.6 pradhāna-tas [ pradhAnatas ]
- 1.7 pradhāna-tā [ pradhAnatA ]
- 1.8 pradhāna-tva [ pradhAnatva ]
- 1.9 pradhāna-dhātu [ pradhAnadhAtu ]
- 1.10 pradhāna-puruṣa [ pradhAnapuruSa ]
- 1.11 pradhāna-bhāj [ pradhAnabhAj ]
- 1.12 pradhāna-bhūta [ pradhAnabhUta ]
- 1.13 pradhāna-mantrin [ pradhAnamantrin ]
- 1.14 pradhāna-mitra [ pradhAnamitra ]
- 1.15 pradhāna-vādin [ pradhAnavAdin ]
- 1.16 pradhāna-vāsas [ pradhAnavAsas ]
- 1.17 pradhāna-vṛṣṭi [ pradhAnavRSTi ]
- 1.18 pradhāna-śiṣṭa [ pradhAnaziSTa ]
- 1.19 pradhāna-sabhika [ pradhAnasabhika ]
- 1.20 pradhāna-sevā [ pradhAnasevA ]
- 1.21 pradhānâṅga [ pradhAnAGga ]
- 1.22 pradhānâtman [ pradhAnAtman ]
- 1.23 pradhānâdhyakṣa [ pradhAnAdhyakSa ]
- 1.24 pradhānâmātya [ pradhAnAmAtya ]
- 1.25 pradhānôttama [ pradhAnottama ]
pradhāna [ pradhAna ]
n. a chief thing or person, the most important or essential part of anything KātyŚr. Mn. MBh. etc.
( ibc. ) the principal or first, chief, head of
[ often also ifc. ( f. ā ), e.g. indra-pradhāna, ( a hymn ) having Indra as the chief object or person addressed Nir
prayoga-p°, ( the art of dancing ) having practice as its essential part, chiefly practical Mālav. ]
' the Originator ', primary germ, original source of the visible or material universe ( in Sāṃkhya = prakṛti, q.v. ) IW. 53, 1 etc.
primary or unevolved matter or nature Sarvad
supreme or universal soul L.
intellect, understanding L.
the first companion or attendant of a king, a courtier, a noble ( also m. ) L.
an elephant-driver ( also m. ) L.
( in gram. ) the principal member of a compound ( opp. to upasarjana, q.v. )
mf ( ā ) n. chief, main, principal, most important
pre-eminent in ( instr. )
better than or superior to ( abl. ) MBh. Kāv. etc.
m. N. of an ancient king MBh.
( ā ), f. N. of a Śakti, Tantr. ( cf. IW. 522 )
pradhāna-karman [ pradhAnakarman ]
or n. chief or principal action
pradhāna-kārya [ pradhAnakArya ]
n. chief or principal action
principal mode of treatment ( in med. ), Suśr Madhus
m. the doctrine that Pradhāna is the original cause ( according to the Sāṃkhya ) Bādar. Sch.
pradhāna-tama [ pradhAnatama ]
mfn. most excellent or distinguished, most important, chiefest MBh. Suśr.
pradhāna-tara [ pradhAnatara ]
mfn. more excellent, better MārkP.
pradhāna-tas [ pradhAnatas ]
ind. according to eminence or superiority Mn. MBh. Hariv.
pradhāna-tā [ pradhAnatA ]
f. pre-eminence, excellence, superiority, prevalence R. Hariv. Hit. Vedântas.
the being Pradhāna, q.v.
( in MBh. iii, 173 = jagat-kāraṇatā ; śarīra-p° ).
pradhāna-tva [ pradhAnatva ]
n. pre-eminence, superiority, excellence ĀśvŚr. MBh.
( in Sāṃkhya ) the being Pradhāna Sāṃkhyak. Sch.
pradhāna-dhātu [ pradhAnadhAtu ]
m. ' chief element of the body ', semen virile L.
pradhāna-puruṣa [ pradhAnapuruSa ]
m. a chief person, most distinguished personage , an authority Mn. Mālav
' the supreme soul ', N. of Śiva MBh.
°ṣâtîta m. transcending Pradhāna and Purusha ( matter and spirit )
N. of Śiva MW.
pradhāna-bhāj [ pradhAnabhAj ]
mfn. ' receiving the chief share ', most excellent or distinguished MBh.
pradhāna-bhūta [ pradhAnabhUta ]
mfn. one who is the chief person Kāś. on Pāṇ. 1-4 , 54
pradhāna-mantrin [ pradhAnamantrin ]
m. a prime minister R. Hit. Vet
pradhāna-mitra [ pradhAnamitra ]
n. a chief friend R.
m. one who asserts the Sāṃkhya doctrine ( of Pradhāna ), Badar. Sch.
n. the best clothes, full-dress Mṛcch
f. copious rain, heaviest rain Var
pradhāna-śiṣṭa [ pradhAnaziSTa ]
mfn. taught or laid down as of primary importance MW. ( cf. anvācaya-ś° )
pradhāna-sabhika [ pradhAnasabhika ]
m. the chief of a gambling-house Mṛcch
pradhāna-sevā [ pradhAnasevA ]
f. chief or principal service Pañcat
pradhānâṅga [ pradhAnAGga ]
n. a chief member, the chief member of the body
most eminent person in a state
principal branch of a science etc. W.
pradhānâtman [ pradhAnAtman ]
m. supreme or universal soul, N. of Viṣṇu VP.
( identified with the original cause of the universe or Viśva-bhāvana W. )
pradhānâdhyakṣa [ pradhAnAdhyakSa ]
m. a chief superintendent
-tā f. the office of chief superintendent Kathās
pradhānâmātya [ pradhAnAmAtya ]
m. a prime minister W.
pradhānôttama [ pradhAnottama ]
mfn. best of the eminent, illustrious
warlike, brave W.