Related Sanskrit Words:
Derived Words in Other Languages:
- 1 स्कन्ध skandhá [ skandha ]
- 1.1 skandhá-cāpa [ skandhacApa ]
- 1.2 skandhá-ja [ skandhaja ]
- 1.3 skandhá-taru [ skandhataru ]
- 1.4 skandhá-deśa [ skandhadeza ]
- 1.5 skandhá-parinirvāṇa [ skandhaparinirvANa ]
- 1.6 skandhá-pāda [ skandhapAda ]
- 1.7 skandhá-pīṭha [ skandhapITha ]
- 1.8 skandhá-pradeśa [ skandhapradeza ]
- 1.9 skandhá-phala [ skandhaphala ]
- 1.10 skandhá-bandhanā [ skandhabandhanA ]
- 1.11 skandhá-maṇi [ skandhamaNi ]
- 1.12 skandhá-maya [ skandhamaya ]
- 1.13 skandhá-mallaka [ skandhamallaka ]
- 1.14 skandhá-māra [ skandhamAra ]
- 1.15 skandhá-rāja [ skandharAja ]
- 1.16 skandhá-ruha [ skandharuha ]
- 1.17 skandhá-vat [ skandhavat ]
- 1.18 skandhá-vaha [ skandhavaha ]
- 1.19 skandhá-vāha [ skandhavAha ]
- 1.20 skandhá-vāhaka [ skandhavAhaka ]
- 1.21 skandhá-vāhya [ skandhavAhya ]
- 1.22 skandhá-viśākha [ skandhavizAkha ]
- 1.23 skandhá-śākhā [ skandhazAkhA ]
- 1.24 skandhá-śiras [ skandhaziras ]
- 1.25 skandhá-śṛṅga [ skandhazRGga ]
- 1.26 skandhá-stambhi [ skandhastambhi ]
- 1.27 skandhá-svāti [ skandhasvAti ]
- 1.28 skandhá-svāmin [ skandhasvAmin ]
- 1.29 skandhâkṣa [ skandhAkSa ]
- 1.30 skandhâgni [ skandhAgni ]
- 1.31 skandhânala [ skandhAnala ]
- 1.32 skandhâvāra [ skandhAvAra ]
- 1.33 skandhe-mukha [ skandhemukha ]
- 1.34 skandhôpaneya [ skandhopaneya ]
स्कन्ध skandhá [ skandha ]
m. ( accord. to Uṇ. iv, 206, from √ skand in the sense of ' rising ' ? ) the shoulder, upper part of the back or region from the neck to the shoulder-joint ( in men and animals ) AV. etc.
the stem or trunk of a tree ( esp. that part of the stem where the branches begin ) ŚāṅkhGṛ. MBh. etc.
a large branch or bough L.
a troop, multitude, quantity, aggregate ( cf. kari-, nara-sk° ) MBh. BhP.
a part, division ( esp. a division of an army or a form of military array ) MBh. Kāv. etc.
a chapter, section ( of a book, system etc. ) VarBṛS. Car.
a tract, path, region ( esp. of the winds, said to be seven ) MBh. Hariv.
( in phil. ) the five objects of sense ( See viṣaya ) W.
( with Buddhists ) the five constituent elements of being ( viz. rūpa, ' bodily form '
vedanā, ' sensation '
saṃjñā, ' perception '
saṃskāra, ' aggregate of formations '
vijñāna, ' consciousness or thought-faculty ' ) MWB. 109
( with Jainas ) the body ( in the widest sense, = piṇḍa ) Sarvad
a partic. form of the Āryā metre Col.
a king, prince L.
any article used at the coronation of a king ( as a jar filled with consecrated water, an umbrella etc. ) W.
a sage, teacher ib.
war, battle ib.
an engagement, agreement ib.
a heron ib.
equality of height in the humps of a pair of draught oxen ib.
= samparâya and bhadrâdi L.
N. of a serpent-demon MBh.
of a poet Cat.
often w.r. for skanda
( ā ), f. a branch L.
a creeper L.
skandhá-cāpa [ skandhacApa ]
m. ' shoulder-bow ', a sort of yoke or pole made of bamboo with a cord attached to either end for carrying burdens L.
skandhá-ja [ skandhaja ]
mfn. growing from the stem Āpast
m. a tree growing from a principal stem ( e.g. the gum olibanum tree etc. ). MW.
skandhá-taru [ skandhataru ]
m. the cocoa-nut tree L.
skandhá-deśa [ skandhadeza ]
m. the region of the shoulder MBh. Śak
the stem of a tree etc. Kathās
the part about the shoulders or withers of an elephant ( where the driver sits ) MW.
skandhá-parinirvāṇa [ skandhaparinirvANa ]
n. complete annihilation of the elements of being ( with Buddhists ) ib.
skandhá-pāda [ skandhapAda ]
m. N. of a mountain MārkP.
skandhá-pīṭha [ skandhapITha ]
n. the shoulders-blade Kād
skandhá-pradeśa [ skandhapradeza ]
m. the region of the shoulder L.
skandhá-phala [ skandhaphala ]
m. the cocoa-nut tree L.
Ficus Glomerata ib.
Aegle Marmelos ib.
skandhá-bandhanā [ skandhabandhanA ]
f. Anethum Panmorium ib.
skandhá-maṇi [ skandhamaNi ]
m. a partic. amulet ( = asita-sk° ) Kauś. Sch.
skandhá-maya [ skandhamaya ]
mf ( ī ) n., buddhi-skandha-m°
skandhá-mallaka [ skandhamallaka ]
m. a heron L.
skandhá-māra [ skandhamAra ]
m. ( with Buddhists ) one of the four Māras Dharmas. 50
skandhá-rāja [ skandharAja ]
w.r. for skanda-r° MBh.
skandhá-ruha [ skandharuha ]
m. the Indian fig-tree L.
skandhá-vat [ skandhavat ]
mfn. having a stem or a thick stem or many stems MBh. Hariv. R. MārkP.
skandhá-vaha [ skandhavaha ]
skandhá-vāha [ skandhavAha ]
or m. ' carrying burdens on the shoulders ' ( as an ox etc. ) L.
skandhá-vāhaka [ skandhavAhaka ]
m. ' carrying burdens on the shoulders ' ( as an ox etc. ) L.
skandhá-vāhya [ skandhavAhya ]
mf ( ā ) n. being carried on the shoulder of ( ifc. ) Hariv.
skandhá-viśākha [ skandhavizAkha ]
w.r. for skandav° MBh.
skandhá-śākhā [ skandhazAkhA ]
f. a principal branch L.
pl. the trunk and principal branches BhP.
skandhá-śiras [ skandhaziras ]
n. the shoulder-blade Kāv
skandhá-śṛṅga [ skandhazRGga ]
m. a buffalo L.
skandhá-stambhi [ skandhastambhi ]
( ? ),
skandhá-svāti [ skandhasvAti ]
( ? ), m. N. of kings VP.
skandhá-svāmin [ skandhasvAmin ]
w.r. for skanda-sv° ( q.v. )
skandhâkṣa [ skandhAkSa ]
m. N. of one of Skanda's attendants MBh.
skandhâgni [ skandhAgni ]
or m. fire made with thick logs L.
skandhânala [ skandhAnala ]
m. fire made with thick logs L.
skandhâvāra [ skandhAvAra ]
m. the king's camp or headquarters, royal residence MBh. R. Kām. etc.
an army L.
skandhe-mukha [ skandhemukha ]
mfn. having the face or mouth on the shoulders MBh.
skandhôpaneya [ skandhopaneya ]
mfn. to be carried on the shoulders W.
m. ( scil. saṃdhi ) a kind of treaty or alliance to maintain peace, a peace-offering Kām