Related Sanskrit Words:
Derived Words in Other Languages:
- 1 वंश vaṃśá [ vaMza ]
- 1.1 vaṃśá-ṛṣi [ vaMzaRSi ]
- 1.2 vaṃśá-kaṭhina [ vaMzakaThina ]
- 1.3 vaṃśá-kapha [ vaMzakapha ]
- 1.4 vaṃśá-kara [ vaMzakara ]
- 1.5 vaṃśá-karpūra-rocanā [ vaMzakarpUrarocanA ]
- 1.6 vaṃśá-karman [ vaMzakarman ]
- 1.7 vaṃśá-kīrti [ vaMzakIrti ]
- 1.8 vaṃśá-kṛt [ vaMzakRt ]
- 1.9 vaṃśá-kṛtya [ vaMzakRtya ]
- 1.10 vaṃśá-kramâ`gata [ vaMzakramAgata ]
- 1.11 vaṃśá-kramâ`hita-gaurava [ vaMzakramAhitagaurava ]
- 1.12 vaṃśá-kṣaya [ vaMzakSaya ]
- 1.13 vaṃśá-kṣīrī [ vaMzakSIrI ]
- 1.14 vaṃśá-ga [ vaMzaga ]
- 1.15 vaṃśá-gulma [ vaMzagulma ]
- 1.16 vaṃśá-goptṛ [ vaMzagoptR ]
- 1.17 vaṃśá-ghaṭikā [ vaMzaghaTikA ]
- 1.18 vaṃśá-carita [ vaMzacarita ]
- 1.19 vaṃśá-carma-kṛt [ vaMzacarmakRt ]
- 1.20 vaṃśá-cintaka [ vaMzacintaka ]
- 1.21 vaṃśá-cchettṛ [ vaMzacchettR ]
- 1.22 vaṃśá-ja [ vaMzaja ]
- 1.23 vaṃśá-taṇḍula [ vaMzataNDula ]
- 1.24 vaṃśá-dalā [ vaMzadalA ]
- 1.25 vaṃśá-dhara [ vaMzadhara ]
- 1.26 vaṃśá-dhānya [ vaMzadhAnya ]
- 1.27 vaṃśá-dhārā [ vaMzadhArA ]
- 1.28 vaṃśá-dhārin [ vaMzadhArin ]
- 1.29 vaṃśá-nartín [ vaMzanartin ]
- 1.30 vaṃśá-nāḍikā [ vaMzanADikA ]
- 1.31 vaṃśá-nāḍī [ vaMzanADI ]
- 1.32 vaṃśá-nātha [ vaMzanAtha ]
- 1.33 vaṃśá-nālikā [ vaMzanAlikA ]
- 1.34 vaṃśá-niśreṇī [ vaMzanizreNI ]
- 1.35 vaṃśá-netra [ vaMzanetra ]
- 1.36 vaṃśá-pattra [ vaMzapattra ]
- 1.37 vaṃśá-pattraka [ vaMzapattraka ]
- 1.38 vaṃśá-paramparā [ vaMzaparamparA ]
- 1.39 vaṃśá-pātra [ vaMzapAtra ]
- 1.40 vaṃśá-pīta [ vaMzapIta ]
- 1.41 vaṃśá-puṣpā [ vaMzapuSpA ]
- 1.42 vaṃśá-pūraka [ vaMzapUraka ]
- 1.43 vaṃśá-pota [ vaMzapota ]
- 1.44 vaṃśá-pratiṣṭhāna-kāra [ vaMzapratiSThAnakAra ]
- 1.45 vaṃśá-bāhya [ vaMzabAhya ]
- 1.46 vaṃśá-brāhmaṇa [ vaMzabrAhmaNa ]
- 1.47 vaṃśá-bhava [ vaMzabhava ]
- 1.48 vaṃśá-bhāra [ vaMzabhAra ]
- 1.49 vaṃśá-bhṛt [ vaMzabhRt ]
- 1.50 vaṃśá-bhojya [ vaMzabhojya ]
- 1.51 vaṃśá-maya [ vaMzamaya ]
- 1.52 vaṃśá-mūla [ vaMzamUla ]
- 1.53 vaṃśá-mūlaka [ vaMzamUlaka ]
- 1.54 vaṃśá-mṛn-maya [ vaMzamRnmaya ]
- 1.55 vaṃśá-yava [ vaMzayava ]
- 1.56 vaṃśá-rāja [ vaMzarAja ]
- 1.57 vaṃśá-rājya-dhara [ vaMzarAjyadhara ]
- 1.58 vaṃśá-rocanā [ vaMzarocanA ]
- 1.59 vaṃśá-locanā [ vaMzalocanA ]
- 1.60 vaṃśá-lakṣmī [ vaMzalakSmI ]
- 1.61 vaṃśá-lūna [ vaMzalUna ]
- 1.62 vaṃśá-varṇa [ vaMzavarNa ]
- 1.63 vaṃśá-vartin [ vaMzavartin ]
- 1.64 vaṃśá-vardhana [ vaMzavardhana ]
- 1.65 vaṃśá-vardhin [ vaMzavardhin ]
- 1.66 vaṃśá-vitati [ vaMzavitati ]
- 1.67 vaṃśá-vidāriṇī [ vaMzavidAriNI ]
- 1.68 vaṃśá-viśuddha [ vaMzavizuddha ]
- 1.69 vaṃśá-vistara [ vaMzavistara ]
- 1.70 vaṃśá-vṛddhi [ vaMzavRddhi ]
- 1.71 vaṃśá-śarkarā [ vaMzazarkarA ]
- 1.72 vaṃśá-śalākā [ vaMzazalAkA ]
- 1.73 vaṃśá-samācāra [ vaMzasamAcAra ]
- 1.74 vaṃśá-stanita [ vaMzastanita ]
- 1.75 vaṃśá-stūpa [ vaMzastUpa ]
- 1.76 vaṃśá-stha [ vaMzastha ]
- 1.77 vaṃśá-sthavila [ vaMzasthavila ]
- 1.78 vaṃśá-sthiti [ vaMzasthiti ]
- 1.79 vaṃśá-hīna [ vaMzahIna ]
- 1.80 vaṃśâ`gata [ vaMzAgata ]
- 1.81 vaṃśâgra [ vaMzAgra ]
- 1.82 vaṃśâṅkura [ vaMzAGkura ]
- 1.83 vaṃśânukīrtana [ vaMzAnukIrtana ]
- 1.84 vaṃśânukrama [ vaMzAnukrama ]
- 1.85 vaṃśânuga [ vaMzAnuga ]
- 1.86 vaṃśânucarita [ vaMzAnucarita ]
- 1.87 vaṃśânuvaṃśa-carita [ vaMzAnuvaMzacarita ]
- 1.88 vaṃśântara [ vaMzAntara ]
- 1.89 vaṃśā-vatī [ vaMzAvatI ]
- 1.90 vaṃśâ`valī [ vaMzAvalI ]
- 1.91 vamaśâ`hva [ vamazAhva ]
- 1.92 vaṃśodbheda [ vaMzodbheda ]
वंश vaṃśá [ vaMza ]
m. ( derivation doubtful ) the bamboo cane or any cane ( accord. to L. also ' sugarcane ' and ' Shorea Robusta ' ), RV. etc.
the upper timbers or beams of a house, the rafters or laths fastened to the beams ( of a roof, cf. prācīna-v° ), AV. etc.
a cross-beam, joist, joint, VarBṛS.
a reed-pipe, flute, fife, Kāv. Rājat.
the back-bone, spine, VarBṛS. BhP.
a hollow or tubular bone, BhP. ( B. ), Sch.
the upper nasal bone, L.
the central projecting part of a scimitar or sabre, VarBṛS.
the line of a pedigree or genealogy ( from its resemblance to the succession of joints in a bamboo ), lineage race, family, stock, ŚBr. etc. ( esp. a noble race, a dynasty of kings, a list of teachers etc., cf. Pāṇ. ii, 1, 19, Sch. )
offspring, a son, BhP.
( ifc. ) a succession or collection of similar things, assemblage multitude, host ( as of chariots, stars etc. ) MBh. Kāv. etc.
a partic. measure of length ( = 10 Hastas ), Līl.
a partic. musical note, Śiś.
pride, arrogance, Vās.
N. of Viṣṇu, L.
( ā ) f., N. of an Apsaras ( daughter of Prādhā ), MBh.
( ī ), f. see s.v.
vaṃśá-ṛṣi [ vaMzaRSi ]
m. a Ṛṣi mentioned in a Vaṃśa-Brāhmaṇa ( or list of ancient teachers ), Śaṃk.
vaṃśá-kaṭhina [ vaMzakaThina ]
m. a clump or thicket of bamboos, Pāṇ. iv, 4, 72, Sch. ( cf. vāṃśakathinika ).
vaṃśá-kapha [ vaMzakapha ]
n. ' bamboo-phlegm, ' cottony or flocculent seeds floating in the air, L.
vaṃśá-kara [ vaMzakara ]
m. making or founding a family, propagating or perpetuating a race, MBh. R.
m. an ancestor, ib.
a son, Vikr.
N. of a man, Cat.
( ā ), f. N. of a river rising in the Mahêndra mountains, MārkP.
vaṃśá-karpūra-rocanā [ vaMzakarpUrarocanA ]
f. = vaṃśa-rocanā, L.
vaṃśá-karman [ vaMzakarman ]
n. bamboo-work, manufacture of baskets, etc.
°ma-kṛt, mfn. doing bamboo- or basket-work, R.
vaṃśá-kīrti [ vaMzakIrti ]
mfn. having family renown, celebrated, W.
vaṃśá-kṛt [ vaMzakRt ]
mfn. = vaṃśa-karma-kṛt, R.
m. the founder of a family, BhP.
vaṃśá-kṛtya [ vaMzakRtya ]
n. flute-playing, Ragh.
vaṃśá-kramâ`gata [ vaMzakramAgata ]
mfn. descended or inherited lineally, coming from a family in regular succession, obtained by family inheritance, Kām. Hit.
vaṃśá-kramâ`hita-gaurava [ vaMzakramAhitagaurava ]
mfn. highly esteemed by the successive generations of a family, Hcar.
vaṃśá-kṣaya [ vaMzakSaya ]
m. family decay, W.
vaṃśá-kṣīrī [ vaMzakSIrI ]
f. bamboo-manna, L.
vaṃśá-ga [ vaMzaga ]
f. id., L.
vaṃśá-gulma [ vaMzagulma ]
N. of a sacred bathing-place, MBh.
vaṃśá-goptṛ [ vaMzagoptR ]
m. the supporter or preserver of a family, MBh.
vaṃśá-ghaṭikā [ vaMzaghaTikA ]
f. a kind of children's game, Divyâv.
vaṃśá-carita [ vaMzacarita ]
n. family history, the history of a race or dynasty, genealogy, W.
vaṃśá-carma-kṛt [ vaMzacarmakRt ]
m. a worker in bamboo and leather, R.
vaṃśá-cintaka [ vaMzacintaka ]
m. an investigator of pedigrees, genealogist, Hariv.
vaṃśá-cchettṛ [ vaMzacchettR ]
m. one who cuts off the line of descent, the last of a family or race, VarBṛS.
vaṃśá-ja [ vaMzaja ]
mfn. made of or produced from bamboo, W.
born in the family of, belonging to the family of ( loc. or comp. ), Kāv. Var. Rājat.
belonging to the same family ( plur. with prāktanāḥ = forefathers, ancestors ), Kāv.
sprung from a good family, W.
m. the seed of the bamboo, L.
n. and ( ā ), f. bamboo-manna L.
vaṃśá-taṇḍula [ vaMzataNDula ]
m. the seed of the bamboo, L.
vaṃśá-dalā [ vaMzadalA ]
f. a kind of plant or grass ( = vaṃśa-pattrī, jīrikā ), L.
vaṃśá-dhara [ vaMzadhara ]
mfn. carrying or holding a bamboo-cane etc., W.
maintaining or supporting a family, MBh. R. etc.
m. the continuer of a family, VP.
a descendant, BhP.
( with miśra ) N. of an author, Cat.
vaṃśá-dhānya [ vaMzadhAnya ]
m. n. the seed of the bamboo, L.
vaṃśá-dhārā [ vaMzadhArA ]
f. N. of a river rising in the Mah´êndra mountains, VP.
vaṃśá-dhārin [ vaMzadhArin ]
mfn. = vaṃśa-dhara, Pañcar.
vaṃśá-nartín [ vaMzanartin ]
m. ' family-dancer, ' a buffoon, VS.
vaṃśá-nāḍikā [ vaMzanADikA ]
f. a pipe or tube made of bamboo, Kathās.
vaṃśá-nāḍī [ vaMzanADI ]
f. a pipe or tube made of bamboo, Kathās.
vaṃśá-nātha [ vaMzanAtha ]
m. the head of a family, chief of a race, R.
vaṃśá-nālikā [ vaMzanAlikA ]
f. a pipe made of bamboo, a reed, flute, L. ( cf. nāḍikā ).
vaṃśá-niśreṇī [ vaMzanizreNI ]
f. a ladder made of bamboo, Pañcat.
vaṃśá-netra [ vaMzanetra ]
n. a kind of sugar-cane, the root of sugar-cane ( = ikṣu-mūla ), L.
vaṃśá-pattra [ vaMzapattra ]
n. a bamboo-leaf, VarBṛS.
sulphuret of arsenic, L.
a kind of metre ( = vaṃśa-pattra-patita ), Col.
m. a reed, L.
( ī ), f. a partic. kind of grass, L.
the resin of Gardenia Gummifera, Bhpr.
-patita, mfn. fallen on a bamboo-leaf
n. a species of metre, VarBṛS.
-haritāla, n. bamboo-leaved orpiment, L.
vaṃśá-pattraka [ vaMzapattraka ]
m. ( only L. ) a reed
a sort of fish, Cynoglossus Lingua
n. yellow orpiment, L.
vaṃśá-paramparā [ vaMzaparamparA ]
f. family succession, lineage, descent, W.
vaṃśá-pātra [ vaMzapAtra ]
n. a bamboo vessel ( also ī f. ), KātyŚr. Sch.
-kāriṇī, f. a woman who makes bamboo vessels or baskets, MW.
vaṃśá-pīta [ vaMzapIta ]
m. a kind of bdellium, L.
vaṃśá-puṣpā [ vaMzapuSpA ]
f. a species of creeper, L.
vaṃśá-pūraka [ vaMzapUraka ]
n. the root of the sugar-cane ( = ikṣu-mūla ), L.
vaṃśá-pota [ vaMzapota ]
m. ' bamboo shoot ' and ' child of a good family, ' Vās.
vaṃśá-pratiṣṭhāna-kāra [ vaMzapratiSThAnakAra ]
m. one who establishes his family on a firm foundation, R.
vaṃśá-bāhya [ vaMzabAhya ]
mf ( ā ) n. repudiated by a family, Hcar.
vaṃśá-brāhmaṇa [ vaMzabrAhmaNa ]
n. N. of a Brahmaṇa ( belonging to the Sāma-veda and containing a chronological list of ancient teachers )
of a part of the Śata-patha Brāhmaṇa ( xiv, 5, 5, 20-22 ).
vaṃśá-bhava [ vaMzabhava ]
mfn. ' made of bamboo and ' descended from a noble race, ' Bhām.
vaṃśá-bhāra [ vaMzabhAra ]
m. a load of bamboo, Pāṇ. v, 1, 50.
vaṃśá-bhṛt [ vaMzabhRt ]
m. the supporter or perpetuator of a family, head of a race, MBh. Kathās.
vaṃśá-bhojya [ vaMzabhojya ]
mfn. to be possessed by a family, hereditary
n. ( with rajya ) an hereditary estate, MBh.
vaṃśá-maya [ vaMzamaya ]
mf ( ī ) n. made of bamboo, KātyŚr. Sch.
vaṃśá-mūla [ vaMzamUla ]
n. the root of the sugar-cane, L.
vaṃśá-mūlaka [ vaMzamUlaka ]
n. N. of a sacred bathing-place, MBh.
vaṃśá-mṛn-maya [ vaMzamRnmaya ]
mf ( ī ) n. made of bamboo and clay, L.
vaṃśá-yava [ vaMzayava ]
m. the grain of bamboo, L.
vaṃśá-rāja [ vaMzarAja ]
m. a high or lofty bamboo, Hariv.
N. of a king ( -kula, n. his race ,) Lalit.
vaṃśá-rājya-dhara [ vaMzarAjyadhara ]
mfn. perpetuating race and dominion, Kathās.
vaṃśá-rocanā [ vaMzarocanA ]
or f. an earthy concretion of a milk white colour formed in the hollow of a bamboo and called bamboo-manna, L. ( also -locana, Car. )
vaṃśá-locanā [ vaMzalocanA ]
f. an earthy concretion of a milk white colour formed in the hollow of a bamboo and called bamboo-manna, L. ( also -locana, Car. )
vaṃśá-lakṣmī [ vaMzalakSmI ]
f. the family fortune, MW.
vaṃśá-lūna [ vaMzalUna ]
mfn. cut off from one's family, alone in the world, Ml.
vaṃśá-varṇa [ vaMzavarNa ]
m. the chick pea, Cicer Arietinum, L.
vaṃśá-vartin [ vaMzavartin ]
m. a partic. class of gods in the third Manv-antara, VP.
vaṃśá-vardhana [ vaMzavardhana ]
mf ( ī ) n. increasing or prospering a family, Vikr.
n. the act of causing prosperity to a family, R.
m. a son, Daś.
vaṃśá-vardhin [ vaMzavardhin ]
mfn. = prec., MBh.
vaṃśá-vitati [ vaMzavitati ]
f. a clump or thicket of bamboos, Kir.
family descent, W.
vaṃśá-vidāriṇī [ vaMzavidAriNI ]
f. a woman whose employment is to split bamboo, MW.
vaṃśá-viśuddha [ vaMzavizuddha ]
mfn. ( made ) of a good bamboo, W.
of a pure or good family, ib.
vaṃśá-vistara [ vaMzavistara ]
m. a complete genealogy, VP.
vaṃśá-vṛddhi [ vaMzavRddhi ]
f. prosperity of a family, W.
vaṃśá-śarkarā [ vaMzazarkarA ]
f. = -rocanā, L.
vaṃśá-śalākā [ vaMzazalAkA ]
f. a bamboo peg or screw at the lower end of a Viṇs or lute, ( accord. to some ) the bamboo pipe that forms the body of the lute, L.
any small bamboo pin or stake ( as the bar of a cage etc. ), W.
vaṃśá-samācāra [ vaMzasamAcAra ]
m. family usage, W.
vaṃśá-stanita [ vaMzastanita ]
v.l. for -sthavila, Chandom.
vaṃśá-stūpa [ vaMzastUpa ]
n. the uppermost beam of a house ( that supports the roof ), ĀpGṛ. Sch.
vaṃśá-stha [ vaMzastha ]
n. ( or ā f. ? ) a partic. metre ( = vaṃśasthavila ), Piṅg.
vaṃśá-sthavila [ vaMzasthavila ]
n. the hollow or cavity of a bamboo cane
N. of a species of Jagati metre ( used in the beginning of the Ritu-saṃhāra ), Chandom.
vaṃśá-sthiti [ vaMzasthiti ]
f. the state or condition of a family, Kālid.
vaṃśá-hīna [ vaMzahIna ]
mfn. destitute of family or descendants, having no kindred, Hit.
vaṃśâ`gata [ vaMzAgata ]
mfn. coming from one's family, inherited, obtained by inheritance, Kām.
vaṃśâgra [ vaMzAgra ]
n. the point or end of a bamboo cane, the shoot of a bamboo, Sāy.
vaṃśâṅkura [ vaMzAGkura ]
m. a bamboo shoot or sprout, L.
vaṃśânukīrtana [ vaMzAnukIrtana ]
n. the recounting or proclaiming a family or a genealogy, Cat.
vaṃśânukrama [ vaMzAnukrama ]
m. family succession, genealogy, lineal inheritance, Ragh.
vaṃśânuga [ vaMzAnuga ]
mfn. being on or along the central projecting part of a sword, VarBṛS.
passing from family to family, Rājat.
vaṃśânucarita [ vaMzAnucarita ]
n. the history of a family or dynasty, a genealogical list ( one of five distinguishing marks of a Purāṇa ), BhP. IW. 511.
vaṃśânuvaṃśa-carita [ vaMzAnuvaMzacarita ]
n. the history of both old and recent families ( see prec. ), L.
vaṃśântara [ vaMzAntara ]
m. Amphidonax Karka, L.
vaṃśā-vatī [ vaMzAvatI ]
f. a proper N., g. śarâ`di on Pāṇ. vi, 3, 120.
vaṃśâ`valī [ vaMzAvalI ]
f. the line of a family, pedigree, genealogy, L.
vamaśâ`hva [ vamazAhva ]
m. bamboo-manna, L.
vaṃśodbheda [ vaMzodbheda ]
N. of a Tīrtha, MatsyaP.