Related Sanskrit Words:
Derived Words in Other Languages:
- 1 श्याम śyāmá [ zyAma ]
- 1.1 śyāmá-kaṅgu [ zyAmakaGgu ]
- 1.2 śyāmá-kaṇṭha [ zyAmakaNTha ]
- 1.3 śyāmá-kandā [ zyAmakandA ]
- 1.4 śyāmá-karṇa [ zyAmakarNa ]
- 1.5 śyāmá-kāṇḍā [ zyAmakANDA ]
- 1.6 śyāmá-granthi [ zyAmagranthi ]
- 1.7 śyāmá-caṭaka [ zyAmacaTaka ]
- 1.8 śyāmá-jit [ zyAmajit ]
- 1.9 śyāmá-tā [ zyAmatA ]
- 1.10 śyāmá-tva [ zyAmatva ]
- 1.11 śyāmá-dāsa [ zyAmadAsa ]
- 1.12 śyāmá-deva [ zyAmadeva ]
- 1.13 śyāmá-pattra [ zyAmapattra ]
- 1.14 śyāmá-phena [ zyAmaphena ]
- 1.15 śyāmá-bhaṭṭa [ zyAmabhaTTa ]
- 1.16 śyāmá-bhās [ zyAmabhAs ]
- 1.17 śyāmá-mukha [ zyAmamukha ]
- 1.18 śyāmá-ruci [ zyAmaruci ]
- 1.19 śyāmá-latā [ zyAmalatA ]
- 1.20 śyāmá-varṇa [ zyAmavarNa ]
- 1.21 śyāmá-vallī [ zyAmavallI ]
- 1.22 śyāmá-vrata [ zyAmavrata ]
- 1.23 śyāmá-śabalá [ zyAmazabala ]
- 1.24 śyāmá-śiṃśapā [ zyAmaziMzapA ]
- 1.25 śyāmá-sāra [ zyAmasAra ]
- 1.26 śyāmá-sāh-śaṃkara [ zyAmasAhzaMkara ]
- 1.27 śyāmá-sundara [ zyAmasundara ]
- 1.28 śyāmâṅga [ zyAmAGga ]
- 1.29 śyāmâcārya [ zyAmAcArya ]
- 1.30 śyāmâmlī [ zyAmAmlI ]
- 1.31 śyāmâruṇa [ zyAmAruNa ]
- 1.32 śyāmârya [ zyAmArya ]
- 1.33 śyāmâvadāta [ zyAmAvadAta ]
- 1.34 śyāmêkṣu [ zyAmekSu ]
श्याम śyāmá [ zyAma ]
mf ( ā ) n. ( said to be connected with √ śyai ) black, dark-coloured, dark blue or brown or grey or green, sable, having a dark or swarthy complexion ( considered a mark of beauty ) cf. AV. etc.
m. black or blue or green ( the colour ) cf. L.
a cloud cf. L.
the Kokila or Indian cuckoo cf. L.
a black bull cf. TS. cf. ĀśvŚr.
N. of various plants ( fragrant grass
Careya Arborea etc. ) cf. L.
( in music ) a partic. Rāga cf. Saṃgīt
N. of a son of Śūra and brother of Vasudeva cf. Hariv. cf. VP.
of a modern prince cf. Cat.
of a mountain cf. MBh.
of a sacred fig-tree at Prayāga or Allahābād cf. R. cf. Ragh. cf. Uttarar
pl. N. of a Vedic school ( a subdivision of the Maitrāyaṇīyas )
( ā ), f. a woman with peculiar marks or characteristics ( accord. to some ' a girl who has the marks of puberty '
accord. to others ' a woman who has not borne children '
also described as ' a female of slender shape ' etc. ) cf. Śiś. cf. Siṉhâs.
a N. or form of Durgā ( worshipped by the Tāntrikas ) cf. W.
N. of Yamunā cf. L.
of a daughter of Meru ( an incarnation of Gaṅgā ) cf. BhP.
of a princess, Vāś., Introd.
of another woman cf. MBh.
of a goddess who executes the commands of the 6th Arhat or of the mother of the 13th Arhat ( with Jainas )
a kind of bird ( either ' the female of the Indian cuckoo ' or ' a hen- sparrow ' ) cf. VarBṛS. cf. Pañcat
N. of various plants ( = gundrā, priyaṅgu, sārivā etc. ) cf. R. cf. Suśr.
night ( śyāmā-cara )
the earth cf. Gal.
N. of a river cf. MārkP.
n. black pepper cf. L.
sea-salt cf. L.
śyāmá-kaṅgu [ zyAmakaGgu ]
m. black Panic cf. L.
śyāmá-kaṇṭha [ zyAmakaNTha ]
m. ' black-throated ', a peacock cf. L.
a kind of small bird cf. W.
N. of Śiva cf. ib.
śyāmá-kandā [ zyAmakandA ]
f. Aconitum Ferox cf. L.
śyāmá-karṇa [ zyAmakarNa ]
mfn. black-cared cf. BhP.
m. a horse suitable for a horse-sacrifice cf. MW.
śyāmá-kāṇḍā [ zyAmakANDA ]
or f. a kind of Dūrvā grass cf. L.
śyāmá-granthi [ zyAmagranthi ]
f. a kind of Dūrvā grass cf. L.
śyāmá-caṭaka [ zyAmacaTaka ]
m. a kind of sparrow cf. L.
śyāmá-jit [ zyAmajit ]
m. N. of a man cf. Cat.
śyāmá-tā [ zyAmatA ]
f. ( cf. MBh. cf. MārkP. cf. Kād. ) or ( cf. MBh. cf. R. ) blackness, dark colour
śyāmá-tva [ zyAmatva ]
n. ( cf. MBh. cf. R. ) blackness, dark colour
śyāmá-dāsa [ zyAmadAsa ]
m. N. of various men cf. Cat.
śyāmá-deva [ zyAmadeva ]
m. a proper N. cf. MW.
śyāmá-pattra [ zyAmapattra ]
m. Xanthochymus Pictorius cf. L.
śyāmá-phena [ zyAmaphena ]
mfn. having black foam or froth ( -tā f. ) cf. Kām
śyāmá-bhaṭṭa [ zyAmabhaTTa ]
m. N. of a man cf. Cat.
śyāmá-bhās [ zyAmabhAs ]
mfn. of a brilliant black, glossy black cf. W.
śyāmá-mukha [ zyAmamukha ]
mfn. black-faced ( as a cloud ) cf. Kāv
having black nipples cf. Kathās
śyāmá-ruci [ zyAmaruci ]
mfn. = -bhās cf. A.
śyāmá-latā [ zyAmalatA ]
f. a kind of climbing plant ( = sārivā or Echites Frutescens cf. L. ) cf. Kālid
śyāmá-varṇa [ zyAmavarNa ]
mfn. dark-coloured ( -tva n. ) cf. Kām
śyāmá-vallī [ zyAmavallI ]
f. black pepper cf. L.
śyāmá-vrata [ zyAmavrata ]
n. a partic. ceremony cf. Hāl. cf. Sch.
śyāmá-śabalá [ zyAmazabala ]
m. du. ' black and spotted ', Yama's two watch-dogs ( regarded as sons of Saramā, cf. RV. x, 14, 10-12 ) cf. TS. ( cf. RTL. 283, 289, 329, 422 )
śyāmá-śiṃśapā [ zyAmaziMzapA ]
f. Dalbergia Sissoo cf. L.
śyāmá-sāra [ zyAmasAra ]
m. a kind of Acacia Catechu cf. L.
śyāmá-sāh-śaṃkara [ zyAmasAhzaMkara ]
( with preceding mahā-rāja ), m. N. of a king and author cf. Cat.
śyāmá-sundara [ zyAmasundara ]
m. ' dark and beautiful ', N. of Kṛshṇa cf. MW.
( also with cakravartin ) N. of various men cf. Cat.
śyāmâṅga [ zyAmAGga ]
mfn. black-bodied cf. W.
m. the planet Mercury cf. L.
N. of Buddha cf. L.
( ī ), f. N. of Bāhu-dā ( q.v. ) cf. L.
śyāmâcārya [ zyAmAcArya ]
m. N. of a man cf. Cat.
śyāmâmlī [ zyAmAmlI ]
f. a kind of shrub cf. L.
śyāmâruṇa [ zyAmAruNa ]
mfn. dark-red cf. VarBṛS. cf. Śiś.
śyāmârya [ zyAmArya ]
m. N. of a Jaina saint cf. Cat.
śyāmâvadāta [ zyAmAvadAta ]
mf ( ā ) n. dazzling black or blackish white cf. R. cf. BhP.
śyāmêkṣu [ zyAmekSu ]
m. a kind of sugar-cane cf. L.